Sunday, November 4, 2012

Weekly Menu for 10/28

Ribollita
I spent the first part of the week holed up in my apartment, praying I wouldn't lose power. I didn't, thankfully, since DC didn't see much of Sandy. My family in NJ was not so lucky. If you don't know someone in the tri-state area, you may not be aware of the extent of the damage. Not only did Sandy wash away much of the Jersey Shore and Long Island, northern and central NJ, NY state, and CT also experienced extensive damage, resulting in power losses and electrical fires. The cold temperatures and lack of gasoline have made leaving these areas unexpectedly difficult. If you are able, please consider making a donation.

Along with Sandy, came the arrival of fall here in DC. As much as I love summer produce, I get just as excited about sauces and stews. Ribollita is an Italian soup, traditionally made with Tuscan kale, that gets better as it sits. It takes less than an hour to make, so if you're going to have a busy week, make a batch on Sunday and reheat as you get the craving for something warm and satisfying.

I know my friends are tired of hearing my cabbage gospel, but I just can't help myself. Cabbage is cheap and unbelievably nutritious. It's also extremely versatile, doing equally well in stir-fries, as stews and salad. To accompany my wienerschnitzel experiment, I braised a small red cabbage with apple cider and apples. The cabbage was lusciously tender and bursting with the flavors of fall. And, for the record, it did not retain any of the unpleasant "cabbage-y" flavor. I encourage you to pick up some cabbage on your next grocery trip. Happy cooking!

Sunday: Leftovers
Monday: Pineapple fried rice with tofu
Tuesday: Ribollita (adapted)
Wednesday: Wienerschnitzeland braised cabbage with apples (adapted)
Thursday: Spaghetti Squash with Nicoise sauce (adapted)
Friday: Roast chicken, potatoes and carrots, and roasted celery and onions
Saturday: Dinner out

No comments:

Post a Comment