Saturday, January 26, 2013

Orange- and Habanero-Glazed Carrots




When I'm not cooking a one bowl meal, I usually make salad as my side vegetable. It's quick, doesn't require clean up, and tastes good. Sometimes, though, I like to switch things up. I've made this carrot recipe from Moosewood a bunch of times over the years. It comes together quickly and compliments a variety of main dishes. This time, I added a tiny bit of habanero jelly and it took the flavors to the next level. My pepper jelly is extremely hot, so I used only 3/4 of a teaspoon, but feel free to adjust based on your heat tolerance. I still have a bunch leftover, so I will be posting more recipes with pepper jelly over the next few weeks. If you have any requests, let me know. Happy cooking!


Orange- and Habanero-Glazed Carrots
Adapted from Moosewood Simple Suppers

2 cups peeled and cut carrots (1/2" slices or 1/2" x 2" matchsticks)
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
salt to taste
3 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons orange marmalade
3/4 - 1 1/2 teaspoons pepper jelly (like habanero)

Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the carrots and cook for 2 minutes stirring occasionally. Add a pinch of salt and the water and continue to cook for 5-7 minutes, until the carrots are crisp-tender. Add the marmalade and jelly and stir for 1-2 minutes until the carrots are well coated.

Makes 1-2 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment