Sunday, October 28, 2012

Quesadillas

Although I barely remember much of high school, parts of college, and let's be honest, things that happened last week, my capacity for food-related memories seems limitless. When I was in elementary school, my grandmother and I would stop at Friendly's during the hour drive to her house. Not much of a meat eater, I frequently opted for cheese quesadillas. A perfectly browned and buttered tortilla, filled with gooey melted cheese. I can still see myself dipping the corners in sour cream after each bite.

As an adult, my love of quesadillas has not wavered. This recipe is a Tiny Chef staple, loved by friends, boyfriends, and yes, my grandmother. Refried beans are the key to making quesadillas into a healthy-ish dinner. They have a gooey mouthfeel, but provide much more nutrition than an all-cheese filling. The peppers add crunch and the olives are a salty bite of goodness. I've also used leftover chicken, jalapenos, and tomatoes with much success, so experiment with what you have on hand. Happy cooking!

 


Quesadillas
A Tiny Chef original

4 flour tortillas
1-2 chipotles in adobo, minced (optional)
1 cup refried beans, about half a 16 oz. can
1 bell pepper, sliced into one inch strips
1/4 cup green olives, sliced
1/2 cup shredded cheese
Cooking spray

Place one tortilla on a flat surface. If using, spread a small amount of chipotles onto half of the tortilla. Drop about 1/4 of a cup of refried beans onto the same half, spreading evenly. Cover beans with one quarter of the bell pepper and the green olives, distributing evenly. Finally, sprinkle with two tablespoons of cheese, about two big pinches. Fold the tortilla in half. Repeat assembly for remaining tortillas.

Spray a large non-stick pan with cooking spray and heat on medium-low. When warm, add two tortillas and cook until lightly brown, about 5-7 minutes. Then flip and brown the other side, about 3-5 minutes. Remove from pan, let cool slightly, and cut into thirds. Cook the remaining tortillas. Serve with sour cream or plain yogurt for dipping.

Makes 4 quesadillas

No comments:

Post a Comment