Sunday, October 28, 2012

Weekly Menu for 10/21

Chicken a la Criolla
Like many working cooks, I love using my crockpot to create comforting meals while I'm at work. To be honest, I don't use it as much as I'd like. My complaint? Lean meats cook too quickly. Although 6-8 hours seems like a full day, I'm often gone for closer to 10 hours. But since this week was my first back at work, my thoughts turned immediately to the crockpot. Luckily, I had a revelation - cook recipes overnight! 7-8 hours is perfect for chicken thighs. An added bonus is that the flavors mingle during the day in the fridge, improving the dish even more. Chicken a la Criolla was a new recipe for me, but it's definitely a keeper.

Another highlight was the roasted red pepper sauce from Pioneer Woman. I've found that cook times are usually proportional to how well a recipe freezes. Chilis takes hours of simmering, but freeze beautifully. Stir-fries are ready in a flash, but freezing them for later? Not so much. This sauce is an exception - chop a little, blend, and simmer while the pasta cooks and you're done. If you leave out the cream, it freezes wonderfully. I've made it for myself a half dozen times and have gotten my mom hooked, too. Happy cooking!
 
Sunday: Italian wedding soup
Monday: Leftovers
Tuesday: Chicken a la Criolla with rice and salad
Wednesday: Leftovers
Thursday: Roasted red pepper sauce over spinach pasta and salad
Friday: Dinner out
Saturday: Quesadillas and lime avocado salad

2 comments:

  1. Interesting idea to use the crockpot overnight. I always wondered if an extra hour or two in the crockpot would really mess up the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Greg! It depends on the meat. Hearty, fattier meats like pork shoulder do really well in the crockpot for 10-12 hours. Chicken can overcook easily. If you have questions about specific recipe, I'm happy to offer a consultation haha. If you make this recipe, let me know!

    ReplyDelete